We all know that relationships take work. One of the best ways to put in this work is by having relationship “check ins” with your partner. Psychologists Dr. Martha Deiros Collado and Dr. Nadia Teymoorian stress the importance of this and say it’s vital to making a relationship last.
“To keep your relationship healthy, checking in with your partner shows you appreciate them and that they are a priority,” Dr. Teymoorian explains. Dr. Collado agrees, “It can also help you understand your partners’ perspective and address any gaps in the relationship before they become issues.”
So how can you go about having a relationship “check in” with your partner? By having some questions prepared to ask and discuss, together. These eight questions and phrases may seem simple, but they’re extremely effective.
- Are we doing okay?
- Is there anything coming up in the next week/month that you need me to be aware of? How can I help?
- I want you to know you are precious to me
- How are you doing today?
- What’s something I’ve done in the past week that’s made you feel appreciated?
- How do you feel about how we split up responsibilities around the house?
- I need some alone time with you, let's go on a date!
- What’s something we should celebrate that we’ve done really well as a couple this month?
I love that these are both questions and phrases. And you bet I’m going to be asking my partner this on our next date night!
- Do you agree that relationship check-ins are vital to a relationship?
- Do you and your partner have check-ins?
- Are you going to ask/say these things to your partner your next date night?