The whole point of a first date is to get a sense of each other and whether or not you’re compatible, which is why first dates can feel kind of like a job interview. Some questions are kind of standard for the first time you go out with someone new, like about your jobs and what you do for fun, but according to one therapist, there are five questions you should be asking on a first date to reveal important information about their character.
Jeff Guenther, known as Therapy Jeff on TikTok, understands that these questions may seem like a lot, but he says you can “sprinkle them in organically.” He recommends you start by asking:
- What are you most passionate about? - It’s a big question, but he says it’s one that will help you understand their priorities, interests and what excites them. That or it’ll “trigger a mini existential crisis about how meaningless and empty their lives are.”
- Who is the most influential person in your life and why? - Therapy Jeff says this question can reveal your date’s values and the kinds of people they admire and look up to. If their list is full of canceled male comedians, at least you’ll know sooner than later.
- What book, movie or TV show has had the biggest impact on your life? - The third question is the most typical first date question so far and it can help you get a feel for their taste in entertainment. So at least you’ll have an idea of whether you can binge watch shows with them or not.
- What’s your favorite childhood memory? - Your date’s answer to this will reveal what their upbringing and family dynamics were like and give you a glimpse into the experiences that made them who they are.
- Do you have any unusual or quirky habits? - With this one, you’ll get an idea of their bad habits, pet peeves and unique traits that make them who they are. And Therapy Jeff points out that this answer will also tell you, “super annoying stuff they love to do that you’ll want to fully consider if you’re thinking about giving them a second date.”
- I’m not sure I really want to trigger anyone’s existential crisis on our first date, how about you?
- Could you answer these questions for yourself? These are pretty deep, especially when asked on the spot on a date!
- What’s the weirdest question you’ve been asked on a first date? How did you answer it?