Need a little pick-me-up? Boosting your endorphins can help. They’re feel-good chemicals naturally produced by the nervous system to help us manage pain and stress by creating positive feelings. And the best part? These are healthy things we can do to naturally boost, or release endorphins.
- Working out - They call it “runner’s high” for a reason. It happens when you experience a sudden burst of endorphins released during exercise, and that short, euphoric state doesn’t just come from running, you can get it from physical activities like swimming and tennis, too.
- Laughing - A good laugh can trigger the release of endorphins when laughter helps us breathe in more oxygen-rich air, activating the heart, lungs and muscles, and stimulating the production of those feel-good chemicals.
- Having sex - This physical activity can boost your mood, help you relax and help you feel more emotional intimacy, especially during the big O, when “significant amounts” of endorphins are released.
- Getting acupuncture - Yep, getting those tiny needles inserted in your body can actually stimulate the release of endorphins and studies show acupuncture can also help us fight off pain, reduce stress and create more of those good feelings we crave.
- Listening to music - You know how listening to your favorite song can instantly make you happy? Research suggests music can increase the flow of endorphins.
- Smelling lavender - The aroma of essential lavender oil can help us relax, fall asleep and cope with stress and emerging research finds lavender smells also promote the release of endorphins.
- Getting a massage - It stimulates the entire body, increasing blood circulation and endorphin production, too.
- Eating dark chocolate - This sweet treat contains special compounds that actually cause the brain to release endorphins and chemicals that make us feel good. No wonder we love it so much!
Source: Real Simple
- If you’re having a really bad day, can you eat dark chocolate while listening to music and smelling lavender for a huge endorphin boost?
- Forget the gym, I’ll take laughing and getting a massage for my feel-good hit!
- What song always puts you in a good mood and turns your day around?